Here’s a guide from MIND…..
What is ecotherapy?
Ecotherapy is a formal type of therapeutic treatment which involves doing outdoor activities in nature. There isn’t one single definition of ecotherapy, but it’s often used to describe a regular, structured activity that:
- is led by trained professionals (sometimes therapists), who are there to support you
- focuses on doing an activity, rather than on your health
- takes place in a green environment
- is related to exploring and appreciating the natural world
- involves spending time with other people, although you can always choose to interact at your own pace.
You might do an ecotherapy programme on its own, or alongside other treatments such as talking therapies, arts and creative therapies and/or medication.
Ecotherapy: an introduction
This short video introduces the main ideas behind ecotherapy, and explains how using nature and the outdoors can improve mental wellbeing: